What is Cellulite?
What is Cellulite?
Picture this, you are looking in the mirror and suddenly notice small pesky areas of skin dimpling. What is that? Many people are wondering the same thing as you. That is cellulite and it is pretty normal, so do not panic! But what exactly is cellulite and how do you improve the appearance of it? Put simply, cellulite is the appearance of lumpy or dimpled skin. It results from normal pockets of fat forcing against connective tissue. Its appearance is commonly compared to an orange peel or cottage cheese. Though most commonly seen around the hips, thighs and buttocks, it can also appear on other areas such as the breasts, abdomen and arms.
What Causes Cellulite?
Though cellulite is extremely normal, many people associate with it a stigma of weight gain and unhealthiness. But cellulite is seen in individuals of all body types and is not very specific in who it targets. Unfortunately, it is hard to prevent and remove. But, lifestyle is huge in helping its appearance. A balanced diet and adequate exercise help better distribute fat and amounts of cellulite. But sometimes, even eating the right foods and working out is just not enough! Cellulite can appear due to factors out of our control. For example, cellulite affects women more commonly than men. This happens because male and female bodies lay out fat cells and connective tissue differently. Other aspects that contribute to the appearance of cellulite are age, ethnicity, genetic makeup, hormones, pregnancy and skin thickness. So how can we reduce cellulite if most of these factors are out of our control?
What Treatments are Available to Improve the Appearance of Cellulite?
Considering cellulite is fairly ordinary, you are not alone! People all over the world have questions on how to improve its appearance. Thankfully, many treatments target cellulite, as well as fat cells. Lasers and body contouring are most commonly used to improve its appearance in bothersome areas.
- Cellfina is a one-time treatment procedure that uses a laser to release tension. It allows the skin to bounce back, with results appearing in as little as three days.
- Cellulaze is a minimally invasive body contouring treatment. It uses a laser beam to target fat and structural issues, with results extending long-term.
- VelaShape is a non-invasive body contouring treatment that provides lasting results. It targets specific areas of cellulite and reduces cells.
- Venus Legacy is a non-invasive body contouring treatment that is safe for all skin types. It uses RF technology to reduce cellulite and wrinkles.
- Zerona is a body contouring treatment that results in inches taken off your waistline and thighs. To remove cellulite and fat cells, it uses low-level lasers to target pockets of fat resistant to diet and exercise.